Re: refurbishing exhaust manifolds

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, nigel@socs.uts.EDU.AU
Subject: Re: refurbishing exhaust manifolds
From: "GERONIMO, SC9-32, 765-4903, PAGE 231-6478" <GENDIMEN@T12SYS.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 93 07:32:07 PDT
>       The plating all the way along the pipes peeled off in large flakes
>(up to 3 inches square), and the plating nearer the engine's head boiled
>into an oxide. Lasted all of 3 minutes.
>
>       I would NOT recommend nickel plating.

Hmmm, the nickel plated manifolds I saw were on the car for a few years and
they looked fine. The car is used regularly and also raced a few times a year.
He had them done at a local plating shop.   Maybe it works better on cast iron
or something.  Also, the manifolds were new when plated.  The platers won't do
used manifolds cause the carbon contaminates the plating bath.

I also seem to remember a co-worker recommending stove black for headers.

Mike G.