Re: British Cars Digest #817 Tue May 11 01:15:03 MDT 1993

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #817 Tue May 11 01:15:03 MDT 1993
From: mjb@triumph (Mark J Bradakis)
Date: Tue, 18 May 93 12:28:27 -0600
And here's another one!

mjb.
----

    Date: Tue, 11 May 93 10:23:15 EDT
    From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
    To: british-cars-request@autox.team.net

|> Date: Mon, 10 May 93 16:23:24 PDT
|> From: megatest!tyger!sfisher@uu2.psi.com (Scott Fisher)

|> Subject: What I've Been Up To
|>
|> When last we left Our Hero, sometime back in August, I'd just
|> put the sticky tires on the Green Car, I had been looking for
|> a Fisher Family Car for some time to replace the aging Biscuit
|> Tin of Steel, I was thinking about selling The Black Car, and
|> a few other things.

[The Joys of Severance, which I too may soon be experiencing deleted]

|> Fortunately that wasn't necessary, and I arranged to start at a
|> new place on October 23.  During the time off, I worked on a
|> number of interesting projects, at least one of which has
|> borne exciting fruit.  By this time next year, you all should
|> be able to go into a technical bookstore and find a volume called
|> "Multimedia Authoring," by Scott Fisher, published by Academic
|> Press.  Now all I have to do is finish writing it...

The real question, I'm sure this brings up is how soon will you be on
the Oprah, Donahue, etc. talk show circuit hawking said book so we can
see what you look like? :-)

[story of Volvo deleted]

|> Unfortunately, The Green Car decided that it was time for it to stop as
|> well.  In March I went to start it and the batteries were gone, so I
|> replaced them with a single 12V; I drove in a Fiat Club autocross on
|> April 10, had a great time, did very well considering how little prep
|> the car had (running in SP with no SP mods other than wheels, still
|> came in 4th out of 10),

You were driving an MG and they were driving Fiats, perhaps that was
the difference.

|> and did some serious damage to some as yet unknown
|> internal engine bits the next time I tried to start it.  So I'll be

I hope this didn't happen in the midst of all those Fiats you had just
beaten!

|> checking the condition of the spare motor and will try to get it installed
|> as soon as possible.  We know what it's like not to have these things...

[]
|> of an XJ-S from about 1987, an age that puts their prices within reach.
|> If I get the Green Car assembled for autocrossing, the XJ-S would make a
|> fine car for racetrack events, I think, not to mention comfortable high-
|> speed touring to visit folks Down South.

That does sound fun.

|> I'll post a more British-car oriented message a little later, but for now,
|> Safety Fast!

As I mentioned in a message I sent after you posted to the autox list
(not sure it made it out, I've been having mailer problems), I've
gotten my MGB going again.  I think when you left the list, I had just
gotten the head rebuilt (maybe I hadn't done that yet.)  Anyway it
still didn't run right, so it basically sat from October until January
when I decided to ditch the Weber and try some SU's.  Lo and behold it
runs and runs and runs.  Roger G. is trying to get me to sell the
Weber to him, I haven't decided if I'm going to or not.  I think it
depends on how serious I get into autoxing the thing, although it
could go a ways towards the purchase of a set of those nifty sticky
tires you recommend.  We'll see.  Anyway, the MG is alive for this
weekend's autox school Saturday and event Sunday.  Unfortuantely,
JCWhitless is taking their own sweet time getting the front sway bar I
ordered.  The sent the rear, but I'm not sure I want that much
oversteer.

|> - --Scott Fisher

Glad to have you back, I hope you're not too swamped with email from
everyone who like me decided to welcome you back.

Bob Jones

Robert Jones   bobj@meaddata.com   Mead Data Central     Dayton, Ohio
"Driving an MG in competition is more than just starting out in a
worn-out old car, it's a symbol of rebellion against authority and convention,
the automotive equivalent of a little guy with a sling and an attitude
squaring off against the toughest opponent his enemies can offer."
   -Scott Fisher