refurbishing exhaust manifolds

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: refurbishing exhaust manifolds
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Thu, 13 May 93 08:30:54 EDT
"James A. TenCate" writes:

 > Tom Bishop and I are going to do something about our exhaust manifolds.
 > They've got a nice coat of rust on them and we'd rather see them a nice
 > cast metal color.

I wish you luck.  Let me know if you find something that works.

 > Question:
 > What DIY coatings have you folks used?  Eastwood makes one I know about.

I used the Eastwood Stainless Steel coating on my TR6 manifold.  I had
the manifold sand blasted, and then brushed on the stainless steel
paint.  It looked great.  I started the car, and the manifold smoked
as the heat baked on the paint.  It discolored just a bit, but then it
kept it's nice metallic looks....  for about 4 months.  It now has
started to flake and rust, and I think it would look better with a
nice coat of rust.  I wouldn't recommend it, as I've talked to other
folks at car shows who have had similar experiences.

TTFN,

-Scotty