Reputations vs. reality

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Reputations vs. reality
From: Dan Parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1993 10:49:09 -0700 (MST)
In the last few years I've had the opportunity to make an
interesting side-by-side comparison:  The reputedly ultra-
reliable Honda Accord vs. the reputedly unreliable gotta-
watch-it-every-second-or-it'll-fall-to-bits Triumph Spitfire.
The results are unexpected:

Car A:  1988 Accord, purchased with 36,000 miles, daily
driver for about one year.
Car B:  1979 Spitire, somewhat coincidentally also purchased
with 36,000 miles, used for exactly one year now as daily driver.

In the Year Of The Accord, the following things failed:
Air conditioning, power window regulator, rear window
defroster, cruise control, brake rotors (warped), c.v. boots
and some funny belts having to do with the brakes.
(I think that's what the last two things were, I didn't do
my own work on the Honda).
Total cost: approximately $1500.

In the Year Of The Triumph, the following things failed:
One u-joint.
Total cost = $30.
(Admittedly I did remove and restore the offended axleshaft
myself.)

This makes the Triumph easily the most reliable of the ten cars
I've had so far.  (Three of them britcars.)  These days,
when the ignorant make remarks about my driving a notoriously
untrustworthy car I just laugh at them.

Cheerio,
Dan