Re: refurbishing exhaust manifolds

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: refurbishing exhaust manifolds
From: nigel@socs.uts.EDU.AU
Date: Fri, 14 May 1993 12:28:12 +1000 (EST)
        I recently bought a nice set of extractors (um, exhaust headers) for
my Toyota Coaster bus. They were a lovely nickel plated finish, kinda like
chemically polished stainless steel. Anyway, a mate and I fitted them, tied
the muffler in place, and took the bus 'round to the local truck exhaust
place for the last of the fitting.

        The plating all the way along the pipes peeled off in large flakes
(up to 3 inches square), and the plating nearer the engine's head boiled
into an oxide. Lasted all of 3 minutes.

        I would NOT recommend nickel plating.

--
    Nigel Pearson, research dog's-body @ University of Technology, Sydney.

   AARNet: nigel@socs.uts.edu.au         Talk: (Sydney) 330 1799 or 330 1816
   Hardcopy: Nigel Pearson, SOCS, UTS, PO Box 123, BROADWAY, Australia, 2007