Re: SCCA classes, SM2, and F125

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SCCA classes, SM2, and F125
From: "G Ryan" <gryan3@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 19:09:43 -0500
: From: Smokerbros@aol.com
:
: In a message dated 6/17/02 5:56:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
: mikevtaylor@comcast.net writes:
:
:
: > SM is also a very popular class in Detroit, where I autocross. I am
: > disappointed to hear that SM2 is possibly on the chopping block.
:
: SM2 is not on the chopping block.  '02 is the first year for SM2 as a
: Regional class, and they will compete with E/Mod at the
: Nationals this year.
: If they have 18 or more entrants they will be scored
: separately.  This is the
: same offer made to other Regional classes that SCCA embraces.
:  Look at SM.
: We've had National Champions in SM for the past 2 years...
: <snip>
: Charlie Davis
: NPDiv SEB representative

That is surely good news. SM2 is becoming one of our better subscribed classes
locally, and has been increasing in numbers since the first event we have had.
Everything from my V8 powered daily driver Fiero to a turbo powered 2002
Toyota MR2 (just joined us this week) has been playing in SM2 locally,
including Corvettes and Supercharged Miata's.

The class is slowly gaining in popularity all over the country, too, judging
by the feedback I get from the Fiero crowd - a lot of whom participate in SM2
themselves. To a man, every participant in SM2 I have talked with are enjoying
the class immensely. Most feel they are better suited to that class than
E-Mod.

There was a thread in this forum not to long ago started by Dennis Grant
saying that the class would be killed because there weren't any entries in SM2
at the National tours. But I certainly hope that Dennis and the rest of the
nay-sayers realize that one must crawl before they can walk, and the class
seems to be gaining in popularity.

I doubt that there will be a big showing at Nationals this year, most of the
drivers I have met and talked to are relatively new to autocrossing and
haven't developed past regional participation just yet. But give the class
another year - - -

George Ryan
Director - Performance Division
Classic Fiero Owners Group - International