RE: SCCA classes, SM2, and F125

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: SCCA classes, SM2, and F125
From: "Madurski, Ronald M." <RONALD.M.MADURSKI@saic.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:53:38 -0400
: Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 12:34:44 EDT
: From: Smokerbros@aol.com
:
: In a message dated 6/17/02 5:56:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
: mikevtaylor@comcast.net writes:
:
:
: > SM is also a very popular class in Detroit, where I autocross. I am
: > disappointed to hear that SM2 is possibly on the chopping block.
:
: SM2 is not on the chopping block.  '02 is the first year for SM2 as a
: Regional class, and they will compete with E/Mod at the
: Nationals this year.
: If they have 18 or more entrants they will be scored
: separately.  This is the
: same offer made to other Regional classes that SCCA embraces.
:  Look at SM.
: We've had National Champions in SM for the past 2 years...
:
: F125 has never achieved the popularity that SCCA expected.
: Yes, it is in
: jeopardy...  I'm guessing that the Regions that have a lot of
: F125s are few
: and far between...
:
: Charlie Davis
: NPDiv SEB representative
:

It surprises me that the F125 class hasn't done better.  It's hard to get
more bang for the buck than the shifter karts.  I've watched a bunch of them
run before and finally was given the chance to fun run one yesterday.  I ran
about the same time as I did in my FM 440 but the ride was a bit more
exciting.  Not having had to shift on an autox course for awhile made that
the biggest obstacle :-)

Easy to work on, cheap to operate, easy to transport.  Except for the
possible loss of the class in Autocross there isn't much of a downside to
them.

Ron (Still grinning) Madurski
FM 124