Re: 2002 SCCA rules - text format

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 2002 SCCA rules - text format
From: "Leland F Nichols" <Lee.Nichols@morpho.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 11:12:22 -0500
I am very confused by the discussion about the rulebook.  I do not
understand the relevance of the rules being the "intellectual
property" of anyone, or how they can actually be "intellectual
property."  They are rules.  There's nothing secret about them.  If
there is, then no one can follow them.  They are a description of what
must be / can be done if you wish to participate in an SCCA event.  If
the rules set is not easily available to members, if not the public,
then how does the SCCA expect any entrants?

As to the printability / etc of the CD files, it has been mentioned
that the "protection" is an accident of manufacture.  If so, why does
the rulebook include mention of that "protection?"

I purchased a copy of the GCR & Solo II rules (from the SCCA).
Now, if I want to print a section of it for reference / to write on /
because the font size in the book is too small / because I want to
read it while working on my car without getting grease all over my
"good" copy, what's the problem?  How does that infringe whatever
"intellectual property rights" the SCCA might have?

I simply cannot understand how the SCCA can think that restricting
access to the rules benefits them in any way.  If I am not a member,
but wish to research what is involved in autocrossing / club racing /
etc my car in order to determine whether I can afford it / have any
interest, I cannot find that information on the SCCA website, to my
knowledge.  I can find it elsewhere, but I don't understand why it is
necessary for someone to NOT go to the SCCA in order to get
information on SCCA regs.

Again, we are talking about a rules set that event participants are
REQUIRED to follow in order to legally participate in an SCCA event.
If you restrict access to the rules set, you restrict participation.
Is this the goal?

Lee Nichols