Re: 2002 SCCA rules - text format

To: "Dave & Marianne Lyons" <super7@charter.net>
Subject: Re: 2002 SCCA rules - text format
From: "Leland F Nichols" <Lee.Nichols@morpho.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 11:35:18 -0500
comments inserted...

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 6:49 PM

> > You seem to be confusing "trade secrets" with "Intellectual
Property"
> > "Trade Secrets" are protected with other laws in addition to IP
laws.
> > Books like "Hoyel's Card Games", which amounts to a collection of
rules
> > are also considered IP, and protected under copyright laws.
guilty as charged.  i still don't understand the relevance; this may
be because i don't really understand IP...

> > I cannot find where, in the rulebook it specifically mentions the
> > Security setting in the PDF file.  Could you tell me where that
is?
page 316 of the 2002 National Solo Rules .pdf file, or the printed
manual (I believe)
"Please note the 2002 National Solo Rules file is a read only file,
you will not be able to print or select any of the text or images."

btw, whoever chose this as a method of "protection" does not
understand file permissions, or implemented them incorrectly, or never
intended for it to work.  You need NO software other than Acrobat
Reader (free) to print this file.  Or so I've heard.

> > Don't apply logic here, as it will cause your brain to hurt.
ouch!

> > Yes, the rule books (all of them) are a revenue source for the
club,
> > and they don't want upset that stream of money.
I understand this, but they have a captive audience in anyone that
wants to compete in an SCCA event, I believe.  Aren't competitors
required to have a copy of all appropriate rulebooks in their
possession at an event?  fwiw, I believe this is entirely appropriate.

> >  p.s.  The club is not nasty, as I actually have permission (in
writing)
> >   to make some copies "electronically", and to try a few
> >   experiments with them.  (For the GCR, not the Solo rules.)
> >   I do not have permission to distribute those copies, however.
I never thought it was "nasty," just misguided.  ;-)
Also, I was not arguing that I, as an individual, had the right to
distribute my copy.  Don't get me wrong there...it's the personal use
argument I'm making, but I think you understood that.  :-)