RE: 2002 SCCA rules - text format

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>, "Team.net"
Subject: RE: 2002 SCCA rules - text format
From: "Dave & Marianne Lyons" <super7@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 10:34:12 -0400
Mark,

You are exactly right.  It's sometime amazing how things that actually
happen by chance are attributed to some grand conspiracy theory.

I called "Denver" last year to ask about the protections, and they said they
didn't have a clue.  They (Denver) send the CD art work and the book
(electronically) to the printers/publishers, and they (the printer) produce
the pdf and print the book, packaging the whole thing as they go.  The
protections happened by "default".

The fact that the printer )not Denver) makes the pdf and CD is one reason
why page numbers are so screwed up, and there is no real index in the PDF
files. (They are off by 20 pages.)  The GCR and all the spec books are even
worse.  They simply take the galley sheet file and blindly convert it to a
PDF file, and blast it to CD rom.

I was told that there is no plan for "revenue enhancement" by protecting the
electronic versions, and since it is so easy to get around it, it really
does not matter much.

Chris,

As far as it being too complicated for "any Joe" to get by the protection,
there were directions on how to do it shared on wheel-to-wheel last year,
and lots of road racers had no problem getting past the security bits.  Are
you saying that the Road Racers are a lot smarter (as a group) than the
Auto-X folks?  I hope not!