Re: Gear Box Oil

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, rday@cyberramp.net
Subject: Re: Gear Box Oil
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 99 12:26:34 CST

>Refilling the trans can be a real pain if you don't have some sort of
>pump. Some time ago on the 510 list someone suggested the following as an
>alternative. Remove the boot around the base of the shift lever and hold
>it out of the way. Use a hose of some sort or a funnel and hose and route
>it through the shift lever hole and into the trans fill hole. Then you
>can just pour in the fluid.

For a roadster, do NOT DO THIS! ;-)  Sorry, Ron, but it is a
much tighter fit, and most likely you'll make a mess on the
nice roadster carpet.

I use the funnel, and extension tube method myself.  Leave a
catch pan under the filler hole, as I will fill until I get
a little overflow.  Heating the 85W90 gear oil helps to get
it to pour quickly, so there is less of a mess.

The little pumps do work, once the oil is warmed up, too. ;-)

One fellow, on the list, picked up a 240Z in Austin.  Shopped
drained the gearbox oil, but could NOT remove the filler plug!
They ended up removing the reverse light switch, and pumping
oil into that hole. Hey, it worked.

Cheers,

Tom