Re: Gear Box Oil

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gear Box Oil
From: Marc Sayer <msayer1@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 08:58:05 -0800

> I also like the Redline synthetic gear oils. The syncho's feel
> notchy at first, but shifting improves over time. Still not sure
> if I got used the the feel, or if the additives helped worn
> synchro's spin up quicker.

Oh yeah, the Red Line MTL is fantastic stuff. Its almost too good to
believe and I was *very* skeptical when I first read about it back when
it first came out (was 5 or 6 years ago If I recall correctly). I tested
it and was astounded. I started using it in all the cars I worked on and
sold it to everyone I knew. It solved shifting problems in all sorts of
trannys including the notorious XR4TI, for which Ford was already
requiring a synthetic oil. This stuff is completely different from any
other lube on the market, including other synthoils. I wont go into the
whole deal but the quick explanation is that they have played with the
coefficient of friction so as to enhance synchro function. The oil still
protects and lubricates just as well (and better than any petroil) but
it allows the synchros to grab better. The one thing I found out was not
to use it in a rebuilt tranny with all new components. We did that twice
and the shifting never settled in. It was not letting the synchros bed
in properly. Now others have reported no problem with this but in both
instances where I tried MTL in a fresh rebuild, we waited for 3 months
and then finally gave up and dumped the MTL and put in petroil.
Everything settled in just fine within a week and we then went back to
the MTL with no further problems and a box that shifted better than
anyone had ever seen with that brand gearbox. I am no longer in the
business, don't own stock in Red Line and have no reason to endorse
their products other than I found it to be the best thing I have ever
come across. The biggest thing we found with the MTL was that the
synchros spun up faster so that it was much harder to shift so fast that
you "beat" the synchros. It made the shifting much quicker, easier and
more positive. Like I say, when I first heard about it my mind screamed
"snake oil" but it is every bit as good as they claimed.

--
Marc Sayer
Editor/Publisher