Gear Box Oil

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Gear Box Oil
From: "Chris Brucciani" <Chris_Brucciani@mminet.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 20:56:53 -0500

Tom Wrote:

<< Now that I have the beast running after two years of problem, I thought
 I should change the gear box oil.  How do I do that?  I see the plug to
 drain it but where do I put the oil in?

  I think that there are some excellent suggestions offered on the list and
I can only submit my recent experience.  My tranny appears to have a bad
2nd gear sychro.  I drained the gearbox and filled it with Slick 50 gear
oil.  It's cheap and available at my local parts store.  I won't say that
it solved my problems, but it has made the car more driveable. Filler plug
should be on the drivers side, 'bout half way up the tranny case.  I used a
funnel attached to a hose, and it wasty easy to fill.  I am trying to delay
that tranny rebuild or replacement!  However, after reading Marc  Sayers'
comments, I may step up to the Redline Synthetic.  Sounds pretty positive.
What is the compatibility with the leftover residue in the system from a
non synthetic lubricant?