Re: Gear Box Oil

To: Art Department <qcimages@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Gear Box Oil
From: Marc Sayer <msayer1@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 16:14:47 -0800
Art Department wrote:

> As I understand it you can put Synthetic oils in a item that ran standard
> oil but you CAN NOT put regular oil into An item that ran Synthetic oil. I
> was told the Synthetic oil bonds to the item and regular oil does not mix
> well with this.
>
> Can anyone one confirm this out there in roadster cyberland?

No, not true. Today's modern synthetics are completely compatible with
petroils and you can mix and match or replace one with the other. Any
lube for which this is not so will say it *very clearly* on the bottle
and is something I would avoid. The one pain with synthoils is they do
tend to leak more easily, this used to be due to the oil not reacting
with rubber seals and letting them shrink, but today all sythetics have
seal sweller additives or react enough so as to keep the seals from
shrinking. The reason synthoils leak more nowadays has to do with their
improved ability to creep, which is a big benefit in the engine and a
bit messy (sometimes) outside it. Its worth it to me to live with the
slightly greater seepage with the sythoils.

--
Marc Sayer
Editor/Publisher