Re: Gear Box Oil

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gear Box Oil
From: Ronnie Day <rday@cyberramp.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:26:27 -0600
>The fill plug is a square sided plug on the side of the gear
>box. Driver's side for us USA left hand drive cars.
>
>I always recommend LOOSENING that plug first (big cresent
>wrench), THEN removing the drain plug.  I like to use a
>big magnet and get an idea of what is in the fluid being
>drained. Not uncommon to see shiny metal in there, but there
>should not be anything so large to feel when rubbed between
>your thumb and index finger.

Refilling the trans can be a real pain if you don't have some sort of
pump. Some time ago on the 510 list someone suggested the following as an
alternative. Remove the boot around the base of the shift lever and hold
it out of the way. Use a hose of some sort or a funnel and hose and route
it through the shift lever hole and into the trans fill hole. Then you
can just pour in the fluid.

It'll probably take two folks unless you can set up some sort of gravity
feed reservoir and a clamp on the hose to control flow, but that
shouldn't be too difficult to do.

FWIW, Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@cyberramp.net
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared class autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)