Re: Asking for ideas...

To: "Pat Kelly" <lollipop@ricochet.net>, "Kent Rafferty" <gs96@sgi.net>
Subject: Re: Asking for ideas...
From: "Kent Rafferty" <gs96@sgi.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 17:03:07 -0400
        Pat wrote:

        >I'm not sure what events the Pax index is based upon, but
        >I understand it's the national championships, which in many
        >cases may be a good deal faster than events located on
        >smaller sites. Dontcha think this could skew the indexed
        >results?

Sure, but in who's favor and how do you develop a correction-
factor? We run very tight courses here in asphalt-challenged
Pittsburgh.   Even though there aren't many straights, IMO, the
tight courses here can favor the more powerful cars - which is
a tad counterintuitive for all but the more grizzled autox veterans.

The PAX index is definitely not perfect, but I have yet to see
a viable alternative.  How else can I compare how I'm running
vs that Celica or Porsche 968?  At some local events, there
are no other cars in my class - the PAX index allows for a
reasonable representation of how I'm doing vs others at the
event.

Kent Rafferty