Re: Asking for ideas...

To: "Tom Gentry" <tgentry@execpc.com>, "'Mike Bultemeier'" <hottvr@tfs.net>
Subject: Re: Asking for ideas...
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 15:13:45 -0500
Tom Gentry said:

>Thanks, Mike, that's exactly the kind of response I've come to
expect on this list any time someone suggests that the current
rules are not truly as God intended.

Ray's comments just aren't self-consistent. He says on the one
hand that he's not "serious," but it's clear from his comments
that he IS serious enough to want to win a trophy from time to
time. He certainly is serious in his arguments against the
present rules structure, although he has yet to explain how the
present rules "favor the national-level competitor."

>Having signed onto this list thinking that I might get some tips
on actual driving, or at >least car setup,

I've seen a number of questions about setup answered here, and
some very useful information wrt tire life, parts sources,
good/bad experiences w/distributors, and car setup, as well as
the occasional bit about driving techniques. Check the list
archives if you don't see what interests you being discussed this
instant. And if you still don't see what you're looking for, ask
a question.

>I'm a bit disappointed when it turns out to be mainly about
rules, and >SCCA >National rules at that.

Given that local clubs tend to use SCCA's class structure if
nothing else, that would appear to make sense to me. It IS a
national list, after all.

> It seems that many people on this list can't reme!
>mber the days of autocrossing to have fun.

If autoxing is really fun, then it'll be fun even when you didn't
get first place. I can't imagine how you can justify such an
accusation. I'd wager that everyone who is active on this list
has fun autoxing.

>  There are many of us who might become more involved with
autocrossing in >general and SCCA in particular if things like
Racer Ray's questions were taken a bit >more seriously.

I think it's BECAUSE suggestions like this are taken seriously
that they get debated (over and over and over ....).

Jay "still don't know what semi-serious means" Mitchell