Re: Asking for ideas...

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Asking for ideas...
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 09:53:29 -0700
In the spirit of *constructive* debate, let me say that I undersand where
Ray is coming from with his query.

Labelling it *whining* is neither fair nor accurate.  We don't have to agree
or disagree with his query, for it to be either valid and right, or invalid
and wrong.   It's simply a catalyst for constructive discussion.

For one thing, I think it would help if readers of this list wouldn't take
every comment as if it were directed at changing the entire sport of autox,
or their own particular class.  A well-populated street tire class at the
national level wouldn't affect the rules of the existing classes.

If anything, now that I've more experience with all this, I feel that the
only place that street tires make sense on a national level is in Stock
class, where the mods are limited in general to those that make sense for
street legal cars.  But that's just me, and I'm not going to spend any time
lobbying anyone for that -- I've got my hands full on the proposed and, in
my opinion, unfair turbo limitations for SP.

So in Street Prepared, given its "mission statement" in the rule book, the R
tires make sense to me as a valid mod.

Anyway, that said, I choose to use street tires in SP because SP is the only
class that intrigues me with a street car, and since I don't use R tires on
the street, they're irrelevant to me in such a class.  Just because of my
personality, I enjoy tinkering, and Stock doesn't allow enough of that to be
challenging for me (and allows R tires anyway), and Prepared has some odd
rules limitations that just don't appeal to me personally for my particular
car (though it looks like Mustangs do fairly well in it, so I'm always
reconsidering).

Here in San Diego the Improved Street class is expressly a Stock class with
a few additional allowable mods that still keep my turbocar out of them.  I
could go with Street Modified, but since that's not a national class
(correct me if I'm wrong, please), it would create a "rubber ceiling" for me
if I get serious.

Plus my own car is DQd from competing in ST, unless I want to argue that I
could run in STU because induction systems are unrestricted -- hey, that's a
thought, I should check that out.  Is it, or is it going, national?

Anyway, just because we don't agree with someone, we shouldn't be labelling
it as "wrong" or "whining".  It really shuts down constructive discussion.
Notice I'm not doing that.  :)

Just my two cents.

Richard Nichols
rnichol1@san.rr.com
San Diego, California, USA

86 Mustang SVO-1C:  ESP-->FSP
Team SVO -- "Bred to race, not for show"
SVO Club of America Member

72 Pinto Sedan 2.0 3J - Original Owner, Restored:
       @ the San Diego Automotive  Museum.
           Member, Pinto Car Club of America