Re: Asking for ideas...

To: randyc2@home.com
Subject: Re: Asking for ideas...
From: RacerRay52@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 10:05:57 EDT
In a message dated 5/10/99 2:57:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, randyc2@home.com
writes:

<< >    ...My suggestion has been to let the street tire cars compete in their
 > regular classes right along with the R tire cars but use a percentage
 > handicap to even the competition. At first I thought about 5% was a good
 > number. The RTP index in the factors for ST and STR makes a difference of
 > about 4.5% between those 2 classes in which the tires are the only
 > difference. Being based on some data from a number of events that is
probably
 > a better number.

 Here we have some agreement. I think that this is a good idea locally. I
 have often told the street tired competitor "hey, great run,
 considering  that your tires probably made a 4-5 second difference!".

 >       I have read of some regions that do something like this but use a
flat
 > 2sec difference. That doesn't take into account that 2sec on a short 45sec
 > run is a bigger difference than on a longer, say, 65 sec run. A percentage
 > handicap takes care of that.

 I agree that a set time is not the best idea....

 Randy Chase  >>

Randy,
Thanks for your input and especially thanks for quoting the above parts of my
letter which get to the best idea I have been able to come up with for a
consistent and fair way to handle a local street tire class. I appreciate the
fair tone and lack of personal aspersions of your post.

Ray