Re: Safety

To: lwdent@fwi.com, JWoesvra@aol.com
Subject: Re: Safety
From: Tombread@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:18:18 EST
In a message dated 11/29/00 10:41:37 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
lwdent@fwi.com writes:

> Requests were made to the Comp Board for a "safety improvement"
> such as bigger brakes, dry sumps, stronger rods, steel cranks, flare the
> outside of the fenders since I can't safely flare the insides any

Larry:  I remember a lot of change in a relatively short period of time, from
'67 to '75, and little questioned the flexibility of the GCR.  We thought
flares looked uptown-- never mind they were purely a performance mod and an
utterly unnecessary additional cost (not to mention the associated cost of
new wheels and wider tires and on...and on).

I'm not even convinced that production car fuel cells were necessary, and do
not personally remember any mischief created by the lack of one in amateur
racing, though I personally poked a hole in a gas tank by sliding into a
cement retaining wall.  You probably have some data on the nature and
frequency of accidents back then: how many of the major changes in the GCR
(roll cage, cells, fire system) were actually in response to a statistically
serious trend...and how many were legislated on behalf of performance or
business?
tom

Tom Butters
The Greens Fork Group