Re: Speedvisioon coverage of Watkins and Lime Rock

To: Kerry Seibert <ckchapel@fast.net>
Subject: Re: Speedvisioon coverage of Watkins and Lime Rock
From: lwdent <lwdent@fwi.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:58:48 -0500
Somewhat in defense of the TV jocks, many of you know I was the Chief
Announcer at Mid Ohio for 20 years and at Road American for 3 years.

I always had a trackside chart and spotter, many times done by Peg and
or Berry Burrage.  We were able to pick up things like class races, cars
moving quickly through the pack, things that make the race more than
just spin, crash and leader.

Problem with T and V is two fold.  The director sets in a booth far far
away from the action, so no trackside is possible. Second, the sync of
the cameras is tough to switch from leader to racing in the pack, and so
many directors, NOT understand the sport, just don't do it.

At Mid Ohio the announce booth in the OLD tower was separated from the
ESPN booth only by a thin glass.  The ESPN guys were always astounded at
what we were doing and never able to capitalize on it cause the cameras
were always somewhere else.

Incidentally, after NOT announcing a race for 10 years I did two Vintage
events last year, the "Race at the Base", and the Chicago Histories.
Had a real ball.  Wish I had more time to do others.

Larry Dent