Re: Mechanical Failures

To: WATTSIT2ME@aol.com, gordonm@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: Mechanical Failures
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 21:36:30 EST
I will reluctantly respond to this message. This one and several others have
completely missed the point of my posting. To start with, I made no reference
whatsoever to driver attitudes, abilities, conduct or demeanor. That subject
has been exhaustively pursued regularly on this list.

<<"...Vintage Racing is the United States is no longer a place to display
museum pieces."  I have a real problem with that philosophy. There's an
obvious difference between west coast "Vintage Racing" and east coast
"Vintage Racing." Although I've never had the opportunity to race on the East
coast, it's obvious from the photographs, race reports, and articles that
there are two very different venues from coast to coast.>>

I agree that there are organizations that have different standards. I don't
see it as an East vs West situation.

<<"The core of our sport is now made up of enthusiasts that are more racer
than preservationist."  Maybe so in your mind, but I like to believe the true
"enthusiasts" are preservationist more than racers.  You're probably correct
in sheer numbers, but they're not there to enjoy their cars, as much as they
are on a mission to win, at all costs.  And you're correct, they are racers.>>

Do you feel qualified to define "true enthusiasts"? I certainly wouldn't
attempt that.

 <>
 <<full roll cage, disc brake, fiberglass, flared fender, slick tired 356
Porsche passed off as a "1955" model...>>

I don't think you will find many of these at EAST COAST vintage races either.
Roll cages are a matter of driver preference, and disc brakes were allowed on
all 356's when they came on the 1964 SC under the update/backdate rule.
Fiberglass, slicks, flares?? I don't find them on 356's at our races. Where
are you looking?

 <<"Old parts that were often questionable when new are reaching the absolute
limit of their design expectations">>
<<Hello! Something's going to break! >>

    MY very point, and regardless of the underlying factors, I want to
prevent this.

<>

You certainly are correct to some degree, but that is not the reality of what
we are experiencing today. Did you ever hear about wishing in one hand and
sh..... in the other?   Hello!

<< you know what's going to happen? The true enthusiasts won't bring the cars
out anymore to take a chance on being trashed by some "1955" model anything
that's been built up to win at any costs. The real cars will return to the
garages, become static museum pieces again, and that's a shame.>>

Hello again! You are about ten to fifteen years too late in your predictions.

And by the way, I did say there are still places and venues for these cars to
be displayed and even raced. I tried the wish/sh..  thing a long time ago. My
hand still smells a little from that.

 <<Respectfully;  Dean Watts>>

Just as respectfully, Jack Woehrle