Re: Mechanical Failures

To: JWoesvra@aol.com, gordonm@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: Mechanical Failures
From: WATTSIT2ME@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 12:06:53 EST
Hi Jack;

I've been on this list for a total of one day, and 'am probably going to put
my foot in my mouth from the get-go..

Per your recent email;

"...Vintage Racing is the United States is no longer a place to display
museum pieces."  I have a real problem with that philosophy. There's an
obvious difference between west coast "Vintage Racing" and east coast
"Vintage Racing." Although I've never had the opportunity to race on the East
coast, it's obvious from the photographs, race reports, and articles that
there are two very different venues from coast to coast.

I belong to a club, (Classic Sports Racing Group, aka CSRG), whose philosophy
has been the same since our club started over 32 years ago, "No modification
for the sake of performance," period.

Steve Earle of General Racing has the same attitude and stands before us at
every drivers meeting to remind us; "You are not Fangio, you never were, you
never will be, and you couldn't have beaten him when you were the same age in
the same cars, so forget it!"

"The core of our sport is now made up of enthusiasts that are more racer than
preservationist."  Maybe so in your mind, but I like to believe the true
"enthusiasts" are preservationist more than racers.  You're probably correct
in sheer numbers, but they're not there to enjoy their cars, as much as they
are on a mission to win, at all costs.  And you're correct, they are racers.
I noted an article in a vintage race magazine months ago, with a photograph
showing a 356 Porsche, rolled up into a ball of junk. The long and short of
it was the owner/driver was then on a quest to strengthen and modify the car
even more. Hmmm.

I believe the majority of people that stand by the snow fences are there to
enjoy the cars as they remember them, not some 180 horsepower, full roll
cage, disc brake, fiberglass, flared fender, slick tired 356 Porsche passed
off as a "1955" model...

"Old parts that were often questionable when new are reaching the absolute
limit of their design expectations" True for sure. And you know what else?
When the same parts are put under such astronomical loading as per the type
of car noted above, something's going to fail. Cars were driven on tires that
were high profile, treaded and slid all over the damn place. Same car, low
profile tires, wide slicks, guess where the load goes? Hello! Something's
going to break!  I defy anyone to show me photographs of cars, running as
true competition cars in the 50's and 60's that even come close to what you
see on some of the Vintage race circuit(s) today.

I respect your thoughts and opinions, but saddened that you believe Vintage
Racing is no longer a place to display our museum pieces. If so, you know
what's going to happen? The true enthusiasts won't bring the cars out anymore
to take a chance on being trashed by some "1955" model anything that's been
built up to win at any costs. The real cars will return to the garages,
become static museum pieces again, and that's a shame. That's the reason they
were brought out to enjoy in the first place, when they were nothing but old,
tired, noncompetitive pieces sitting in someone's garage or backyard.

That's what "enthusiasts" come to see and enjoy, whether they're driving
them, standing by the snow fence, or just holding their Grandchild's hand and
telling stories about what it was REALLY like. To watch some kids eyes light
up when he's invited to sit in a real race car, turn the wheel, move the
shift lever, that what "enthusiasts" are all about. That kid couldn't care
less if you finished in the race behind the one you started in, he/she is
there for the cars, no more, no less.

Racing? Fine, try SCCA.

Respectfully;  Dean Watts