Mechanical Failures

To: mgvrmark@hotmail.com, JWoesvra@aol.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Mechanical Failures
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 00:21:28 EST
Mark Palmer,

We can always depend on you to jump in there with a clear headed response (MG
guy, too). And if Jack Woehrle's 'reality' comments are read in the right
context, more is to be gained.

Lots of good thoughts and everyone is very nearly correct from their own
perspective.

Our TR4 is prepared nearly to the same spec that Jim Spencer's car was when
it gained the Lap Record at Road America (now owned by Larry Rossi of
Vermont) in 1963 at 2:59.

Stock components abound everywhere in our car. The differences seem to be
Crane ignition and tire technology. We run close to lap record, but not much
beyond it like some others do.

We ceased development on our 1963 TR4 about three years ago....two
constraints existed here, technical ability and cash, as all work is done "in
house". As a result we have moved further back into the pack (even though we
continue to go a bit faster) and that is OK. We have the bonus of being very
reliable with low investment in GoJo. And an enormous amount of fun factor
with our friends.... Those that continue to go faster are welcome to do
so...as it is easy to understand...talent, desire, and cubic cash. And I
enjoy seeing them do so...

However, safety becomes paramont....the only significant component failures
we have experienced has been the rear axles of the TR. A couple of years ago,
I took components of the rear axles into Lead Axle Engineer of a major
corporation (my former corporate employer) and he laughed..."designed to
fail", he said.

Perhaps no failure for a street car.....but these are "production cars" on a
race track.

The axles that will exist with our TR4 in 2001 will look like TR4 axles,
perform like a TR4 axles, and will not likely break. I hope not. Wont go any
faster, will cost some money, but I only have to worry about the next
"weakest link".

Life is too short...but not short on purpose.

Regards,

Joe Alexander

 We had two mechanical failures at the Turkey Bowl this weekend, very
 fortunate that neither resulted in much damage.  TR Spitfire broke rear axle
 & lost wheel -- stayed upright & skidded off course, no further damage.
 Driver told me he had no idea when last magged.  Also had a Porsche 356
 crack a wheel, about 20 - 30 % of circumference I would guess, original
 Porsche steel wheel.  Driver felt skirmy behavior, backed off & slowly drove
 into pits.  This is just FYI -- is Ely Fishkin listening?

 Regards,
 Mark Palmer