Re: Mechanical Failures

To: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>, <JWoesvra@aol.com>, <N197TR4@cs.com>,
Subject: Re: Mechanical Failures
From: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 23:17:37 -0000
our mechanical failure this last weekend at summit point was in the pits and
was the first i have seen of this.  the morgan lost it's ring gear  lodging
it into the bellhousing with the car running.  after a thorough inspection
thorugh the starter's hole we agreed it was "trailer time".  we left early
just beating foul weather on the way home.  we went home , not in the best
of moods .  but it was a fatal mechanical failure and we did get home with a
car that was mechanically wounded but intact.  the thoughts have gone back
and forth about this having happened on the track at speed .
shoulda-coulda-woulda?  personally i'm thankfull it hapened when it chose to
happen and no other damage seems present .   that could have been a very
nasty failure at speed.   needless to say the entire car is coming apart
this winter to emerge next season in new colors and definitly a new
flywheel!
as most of you know i am too young to have driven in "the bad old days".
but along with my father(a competitor) i was where most children were never
seen.  i saw the cars being worked upon in the pits, the late night sessions
in the garages and the at times disasterous results of both driver error and
mechanical failure.   evryone was trying to get more and more out of the
cars and creative interpertation of the rules lead to some interesting
debates in the form of protests.  where are the interesting interpertations
today?  most have expired as they were so close to their limits of the day
they did not last mechanically or physically into the next year or decade
for that much.  what really seems to matter is to be safe, be as fast as you
feel comfortable with and enjoy what you are doing.  if there is doubt,
possibly that is the beginning indicator of possibly being at the wrong
place?

chuck.