Re: Mechanical Failures

To: Jim Hayes <hayes@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Mechanical Failures
From: "Richard E. Buckingham, Jr." <rebjrmd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:01:00 -0800
Hi Jim, I was intrigued by your comment,
"Well, boys, I think we often have selective memory about the "good old
days."

I was not fortunate enough to have raced in the good old days so I only
know what I have heard (taking into account memory vagaries - additions or
subtractions) as well as what I have seen in publications from the era, I
have come to believe the following: prior to 1967, SCCA had production
classes and modified classes.  All of the things that you mention occurred
in "modified" cars.  It was spelled out in the PCS exactly what could be
done in the way of modifications for the production classes, and and if it
wasn't specifically allowed, then you couldn't do it.  What is mentioned
below, I believe refers to the "modified" classes.

> <The
> engines were bored and or stroked up to over 1500cc, modified for Jag
> valves, American engine valve guides, higher compression and or oversize
> pistons, sometimes with highly modified crowns,  milled heads, bigger
> carbs, ram tubes, headers, exotic valve shapes, removing the protruding
> valve guides, and more. They twisted those little jewels to over 8,000
> rpm! Chassis mods included gearbox, driveline and rear axle mods,
> lightening the bodies, fiberglas and aluminum body panels (from the
> factory, no less), wide wheels, brakes, etc. etc. etc.>

Most cars running in SOVREN are production based cars that have been made
into Vintage race car--in other words, they have no racing history.  We
feel that they should be prepared to the rules of the era (either SCCA or
FIA).  Most cars use the SCCA PCS (Production Car Specifications) which
clearly spell out what can be done.  We encourage modified cars (of the
era) to run with us i.e. the Monsterati and Old Yeller series as examples,
but do NOT allow members cars to be built to the "modified" specs if they
have no history of having been a "modified" car.  Obviously the "sky would
be the limit" and people would be using modern knowledge, experience and
materials to create modified cars which never existed.  We think
modifications made for safety such as billet steel axles are totally
acceptable and are not violently opposed to the more modern roll cages
except that they don't look vintage, and some owners may be more interested
in stiffening their chassis rather than in making the car safer.
Modifications that are done inside the engine (where they can't be seen and
easily checked--such as titanium valves and rods) are left up to the
scruples and pocketbook of the owner.  Visible and fairly easily checked
performance enhancements such as modern brakes, Jerrico (S?) transmissions,
wider wheels and lower profile tires are inspected for and are not allowed.

There certainly are several different philosophies around the country as to
car preparation.  Our club is trying to get as close as is reasonable to
"the way it was."  We are not trying to re-write history, but rather
re-live it.

Dick Buckingham - Race Chairman of SOVREN

PS  I feel that with our "tightening" of the car preparation rules,
competition has gotten tighter and the racers are enjoying it more.