Re: Reflections on a racing incident

To: Malaboge@aol.com
Subject: Re: Reflections on a racing incident
From: Marc Robertson <marc@blackberry-ridge.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 21:35:00 -0500
I am not a historian.  But as a regular spectator at the USGP during the
late 60's and early 70's (Cornell, class of '71), it is my recollection
that Watkins Glen, as the site of the US F1 race, was the first US track
to undergo the upgrades driven by Jackie Stewart's safety concerns.  The
goal was to keep cars from hitting things at high angles.  Hence the
close guardrails.

It didn't take long for the downside of the close guardrails to become
obvious.  I walked the track in the mid-70's (passing through, no one
there, so went for a walk).  As a Vee driver, I thought "no thanks".
I'm sure, as was said, that some of the barriers have been moved back.
But I think that a lot of money was spent on "state of the art" back
then, and the resources simply aren't there to redo the upgrades.

In 1971, as a new college grad, my wife and I tented through part of
Europe, including the GP of France.  At that time, stage 2 of the safety
drive was multiple rows of fences held up by fragile wooden posts,
designed to give way in a crash and "roll up" the car.  It looked like a
grand plan.  Then Mark Donohue was killed by getting rapped on the head
by one of the posts used by that safety technology.

The point of this somewhat rambling post is that Watkins Glen was redone
at a time that race safety was first becoming a concern, but the means
toward the ends weren't well defined.  And it suffers from that.
I presently live near (and have both driven and spectated many times)
Elkhart Lake.  It seems to be undergoing a continuing process of
modernization.  It would be interesting if an informed person could
"compare and contrast" the two tracks.

Marc Robertson