RE: Reflections on a racing incident

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Reflections on a racing incident
From: Mactds@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 21:25:35 EDT
Comment #1
> The think to learn is that some corner workers need more instuction.  A red
> flag should have been given, NOT a yellow flag.
> If the track was blocked , all cars should pull over immediately and the
race
> stopped. A red flag would have saved you a lot of money.

Response to comment #1
>It is the decision of the stewards, NOT the corner workers to red flag a
>session or race. All the corner workers can do is display the waving
>yellow, call in to race control ASAP and explain the situation, and then
>follow the directions from race control. Race control gets its
>instructions from the stewards.

Thank you Irv for clearing this up! I had many a debate in the paddock on
just this issue...

As a national licensed flagger with 24 years on my feet - Irv's comment is
CORRECT. It is not at the discretion of the station to use the red or black
flags. A flaggers job description includes "being the eyes & ears of not only
the driver but for race control". Proper communication of track condition to
the drivers as well as the operating stewards is all we can do.

The flagging @ Watkins is provided by an organization called PSI. They
provide all of the on track services. While some of their people are SCCA
licensed flaggers, this group is not affiliated nor associated with the SCCA.
Their members are volunteers - they are not paid to do this - the
organization is paid. Please keep in mind - ALL flaggers at EVERY event are
volunteers. These people have real jobs that most often do not allow them
Thurs & Fri off to play @ the track. Your "weekdays" will always be least
manned around the track.

The horrible incident @ the Glen had many contributing factors - yes, proper
flagging signals was one of them but not the sole cause. Driver's did manange
to avoid that incident with the signals that were available - Ask Brian - he
was 4th car through and was not involved. According to him there was a waved
yellow @ Sta. 1 and on top of the the tower - the flaggers could have
possibly used the flag more vigorously but there were yellows displayed.

Maura MacEachern