Re: Reflections on a racing incident

To: FHammett@aol.com
Subject: Re: Reflections on a racing incident
From: Irv Korey <emanteno@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 17:51:22 -0500
FHammett@aol.com wrote:

> The think to learn is that some corner workers need more instuction.  A red
> flag should have been given, NOT a yellow flag.
> If the track was blocked , all cars should pull over immediately and the race
> stopped. A red flag would have saved you a lot of money.

It is the decision of the stewards, NOT the corner workers to red flag a
session or race. All the corner workers can do is display the waving
yellow, call in to race control ASAP and explain the situation, and then
follow the directions from race control. Race control gets its
instructions from the stewards.

I have seen many waving yellows overdriven by drivers in my 14 years as
a corner worker, sometimes with workers on track attending to an
incident. I have been a corner captain and sent workers to a car under a
waving yellow, and have seen some close calls when drivers don't take
the waving yellow seriously. I have been on track or trackside during
situations like this. It isn't fun. I have had instances when I wished I
could display a red flag but couldn't because the stewards didn't want
to "spoil the drivers' fun".

Fortunately, I have never experienced a situation such as the one that
started this thread. I was taught in corner working school and again in
drivers' school earlier this year: "Waving yellow means extreme danger
ahead, be prepared to stop."

Irv Korey
Highland Park, IL
SCCA National License F & C