Re: Reflections on a racing incident

To: FHammett@aol.com, brian@uunet.ca, pmeis@bgsm.edu
Subject: Re: Reflections on a racing incident
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 17:50:08 EDT
In a message dated 9/14/99 2:40:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time, FHammett@aol.com
writes:

<< The think to learn is that some corner workers need more instuction.  A
red
 flag should have been given, NOT a yellow flag.
 If the track was blocked , all cars should pull over immediately and the
race
 stopped. A red flag would have saved you a lot of money >>

Okay, time for my 2 cents again...

One of the messages a waving yellow flag sends is, "Be Prepared to Stop".  I
don't believe its up to the corner worker to make the call to put out a red
flag.  By the time the information about the incident gets communicated,
quite a few cars can approach the scene.  I think a waving yellow is an
appropriate corner call in such a situation, until directed otherwise by race
central.

Unfortunately, the driver's involved were not "prepared to stop" as you
should be on a waving yellow.

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128