Re: Reflections on a racing incident

To: vscjohn@huntnet.net, MHKitchen@aol.com
Subject: Re: Reflections on a racing incident
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 22:04:02 EDT
In a message dated 9/14/99 9:16:41 PM, vscjohn@huntnet.net writes:

<<Yellow flags are commonly disobeyed, and far too many "racers" don't know
what they, or the other flags for that matter, tell them.>>

    I agree that yellow flags are often not taken seriously enough.  In this
case, it was compounded by the fact that there were fewer corner workers on
hand and I believe that the only yellow going up the hill in the esses were
the yellow course lights.  This is harder to judge than a corner worker
vigourously waving a yellow.  Race control did put out a red flag, but it was
displayed in turn 1 only after some cars, including our sports racer, had
already passed turn 1 and were headed into the esses.  I don't know if the
red was out when the MGC passed turn 1.  I think a lot of racers, myself
included, are lulled by all the yellows they see that are not a serious
incident and don't require any evasive action.  Maybe this incident will help
serve to remind people to think twice when a yellow is displayed.

    As for the other flags, if you polled drivers at most events about red
flag procedure, you will get a lot of different answers.  At the Glen, an
SVRA official was chastising the drivers at a drivers meeting for not
stopping on course when the red was displayed.  He was interrupted by several
drivers who pointed out that the printed material provided in the entry
package instructed drivers to reduce speed and proceed to the pits under a
red flag!  The Watkins Glen official on hand said that their red flag
procedure is to stop on course until instructed otherwise.  So it's not just
the driver's who don't know what all the flags mean!

    For the record, I believe (correct me if I am wrong)  that the proper red
flag procedure is to come to a safe controlled stop on course and await
further instructions.  It goes without saying that one should pull to the
side of the course to allow room for any emergency vehicles to pass.
    Black flag procedure is for all cars to slow immediately and return to
the hot pit.

    P.S.  We haven't written off our sports racer yet, we plan to repair it
if at all possible.

    Doug Meis - Team Escargot