Re: Reflections on a racing incident

To: pmeis@bgsm.edu, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Reflections on a racing incident
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 21:20:57 EDT
Fellow body benders-

Not to throw additional "virtual" gas on an open flame....but, I used to race
the Glen before the infamous Armco barriers. The first installation of the
Armco was at the very edge of the track all the way around. It was like
racing in a tunnel. After the first few regionals, the carnage prompted a
boycott of some size. Many racers refused to race there as the chances of
sustaining body damage was no longer within the driver's ken. Any mistake on
anyone's part resulted in the type of damage described. How many of us can
say that they have never put a wheel in the dirt (or worse) while racing?
That sort of minor incidence would result in major damage to not only your
car, but the next few cars behind you. I understand that the Glen moved some
of the Armco back from the entire track, but kept it at the edge in many
places. I never raced the Glen again. Luckily, most other tracks have not
followed the Glen's lead on this type of "safety" enhancements.

<personal opinion mode off>

Thin wallet racing...
       Nick of Nor Cal