Consistency in Flagging

To: JKings9373@aol.com
Subject: Consistency in Flagging
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 23:01:55 EDT
Jay:

As a sometimes event Steward myself, I agree with your assessment.  My point
in posting my comments was to try to alert more drivers to the fact that a
waving yellow does, in fact, mean "Be Prepared to Stop".  And this should be
take very seriously.

If we all (as drivers and workers) know and understand what the flags mean,
then the risk of such situations are considerably reduced.  If the flagging
in this situation was less than optimum, that certainly could have
exacerbated the situation.

I agree that its not a corner worker's decision to throw a red flag, that
should only come from the Chief Steward.

But in the face of a waving yellow, ALL of the driver's should be prepared to
STOP, without hitting anything, or anyone.

CSRG also has its share of disagreement among drivers, Stewards, workers and
officials as to what flagging procedures are being used.  For example, we now
seem to use "double yellows" as opposed to black flag all.  And red flag
procedures sometimes vary from track to track.  Consistency is utmost for the
interests of safety.

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128