Reflections on a racing incident

To: Vintage <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Reflections on a racing incident
From: "Paul Meis" <pmeis@bgsm.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:33:27 -0400
Prolog: I've noticed that we listers usually report on the happy
associations of our passionate hobby, and not talk about the downside. Thus,
I thought twice about making this report, but perhaps it may be usefull to
you listers and may stimulate discussion.
The weekend of SVRA at Watkins Glen had started well. The engine I had
painstakingly built was running cool and strong through the first three
track sessions. My D-sports racer was third on the Group One time sheets,
(though some fast guys hadn't shown up yet). It was on the second lap of the
Vintage Enduro, and as I exited turn one and started up the esses I saw the
yellow track lights come on and the corner worker was waving the yellow
flag. I assumed a full course yellow with some incident ahead. I backed off
the throttle and allowed more room between me and the car ahead and thought
"be watchfull". As I eased right at the top of the hill suddenly the problem
was all too obvious. Several cars had hit and spun, the track was blocked
and it was hidden from view until one came over the crest of the hill.
Because of the tight armco on either side of the track, there was no place
to go. I locked up the brakes and stopped my car befor the cars blocking the
track, but my rear engined car spun because of the turn in and I wound up
next to the armco on the right side, facing back up the track. The engine
had died and didn't re-start easily. Suddenly I was horrified to see an MGC
coming at speed. He locked up his brakes crashed into my right front, and
caromed off me into the other cars. I had felt a terrific blow, but undid my
belts, climbed out of my car and over the trackside armco. The entire front
half of my once-pretty racecar was demolished. My roll bar was bent back
with a crease about six inches from where my head had been. My only injuries
were a very sore and stiff right hip and knee. My fiberglass monocoque
chassis had sacrificed itself and absorbed a ton or more of force.
I had been vintage racing for 13 years, along with my son, Doug, (the fast
one). I had never had a serious incident and considered myself a cautious
and occaisionly semi-fast racer. I felt confident that I could stay in
control of my car and traffic while working up to speed, and that the chance
of a bad incident was small.
What conclusions do I learn from this experience?
1. If you see a waving yellow, assume the worst case, that the track may be
totally blocked around the next corner, and race control hasn't had time or
sense enough to throw the red flag. (It was interesting that the rest of the
weekend, races were stopped immediately for even minor incidents.)
2. Light Group One cars shouldn't be mixed with big heavy sedans or sports
cars. Enduros that mix these cars carry inherent risk to the small cars.
3. The Watkins Glen track has always been a favorite of mine, and one where
I have sometimes placed well. It has the most beautiful setting of any track
I have ever seen, in the US or Europe. It's racing history is unmatched in
the US, and I have personally had the pleasure of seeing Clark, Gurney,
Hill, Stewart and other greats race there. The Vintage Festival put on by
the village is truly delightful.
Despite all of this, in my opinion, the track is the most dangerous I have
seen or raced on in the US. Many fast corners are blind, and most of the
track is tightly bordered by armco. If you lose it, or if someone in front
of you loses it, there is often no place to go.
Thanks to safety equipment, sound car construction, and luck, I was not
injured. A unique car I had spent four years restoring is destroyed.
I felt Death go past my right ear, close enough to smell the bad breath on
that Old Hag. She wispered as she went by: "Not this time.....but I'll see
you again some day".
Carpe Diem, life is sweet.
Paul Meis, Team Escargot