Re: in-car cameras

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: in-car cameras
From: Malcolm Cox <malcox@napanet.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 21:47:00 -0700
I bought a I/O mount.  Tried to attach my Sony camcorder to the rollbar with
it.  Totally useless.
The problem is that the I/O mount uses the 1/4-20 threaded boss in my camcorder
as the only means of support. In my camera, the threaded boss is molded into the
plastic.  There is no chassis behind it, so the plastic case wobbled around all
over the place, no matter how hard I tightened it up.

For Sale I/O camera mount, highest offer, unused.

On asking around, found someone with a similar camcorder mounted to the
rollbar.  His camera was held tightly in a plywood cradle, bolted rigidly to the
roll bar.  He said he had tried many different padding compliances but had found
that rigid was best.

Malcolm Cox, MGA, Napa, CA