Re: in-car cameras

To: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: in-car cameras
From: Walt@chekov.mayfield.hp.com (Walt Boeninger)
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 11:44:30 PDT
[from Jack W Drews]

>We thought the mount caused the shake, so we bought a mount from Pegasus
>for about $100. No improvement in the shake despite shimming and much
>fooling around. We have been told that the culprit is the tape
>mechanism, which does not tolerate shake too well.

Same experience here.  Max RPM has a major effect on my Sony 8mm
It would go to blue screen above 7500RPM

>The videos we have seen with the least shake (other than the very
>expensive remote jobs) were made with cameras with the picture
>stabilization feature. Our old camera died last year, so we're starting
>the season with a new Sony with stabilization.

>Quite honestly we have not been able to use the video much for driver
>improvement (the fault of the video or the quality of the drivers?) and
>we find that a shelf full of old tapes is used about as much as a shelf
>of snapshot albums. Nevertheless, we intend to keep taping because it's
>fun to see it one time.

Funny how we are the same, I have 13 years worth of tapes, all watched
once.  Someday I'd like to make *one* highlights tape, but that take time..
Watching 2 hours of practice  laps is, ah, quite boring..;-)

>By the way, SCCA carefully inspects camera mounts in cars in their
>events and requires a safety strap or secondary fastener of some type,
>to prevent the camera from becoming a missile in an accident. We should
>all follow the same practice.

At Wine Country this weekend, the tech inpsector asked me to mount the
camera, and watched me strap it down.  He then stuck a tech stciker
to it.  First time they've done that....perhaps it was because he was
training a novice.....

-------
Regards

Walt Boeninger - Nor Cal SAAC         67 GT500     | 67 Shelby T-A #31
http://www.norcal-saac.org            71 Boss 351  | 97 5.0 Explorer
Email: walt@hpwrcxe.mayfield.hp.com     <space>    | 86 Mustang GT
FOR SALE: 68 Corvette Roadster.