Re: Poping of of 2nd gear

To: David Tedore <rw24911@deere.com>
Subject: Re: Poping of of 2nd gear
From: Dick Rothman <fastcars@home.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 10:09:24 -0400
David Tedore wrote:

> I bought a 64 AH sprite race car last fall. It used to be raced SCCA.
> It came with a rib case close ratio gear box.
>
> Form the get go this spring it has been poping out of 2nd gear under
> power.
>
> I've had the transmission out a couple of times. The first time I
> replaced the 1st/2nd gear shift coller, because it showed a lot of wear.
> Every thing else inside looks like new and shows no wear.
>
> The next time out on the track, I had the same problem.
> Pulled the thing out again and had a friend Jack Drews (Uncle Jack) look
> at it. He is also baffled and suggested I try the list.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Bad news, David.

Those trannys are just no good for racing.  I have a 196? or 197?
Spridget that I race in the SCCA MARRS series.  I started with a
Supposedly good close ratio box with straight cut racing gears.  We
tried everything in rebuilding the transmission(s) that this car ate
almost every weekend.  It popped out of second, became hard to shift
when it got hot, and the damn things just broke routinely.

The solution is NOT CHEAP!!  You need to go to a Richmond Instruments
gearbox, made by Jack Mays in Richmond, CA.  It will set you back around
$3,300.00, but the things work, and are bullet proof.  Jack has every
gear ratio you could ever need depending on what course(s) you are going
to run.  You may also have to wait several months to get one, but once
you have one, you can go on with your life and not have to worry about
your gearbox ever again.

If you buy one, make sure you have the right throw out bearing for your
clutch.  The one Jack shipped with the box was a few thousands too small
and it hung up on the splines of the pressure plate.  Once that was
corrected, the gearbox has performed flawlessly for 2 seasons.

If you can't find Richmond Instruments listed in the San Franscisco bay
area, e-mail me, and I will dig out their phone number.

Good luck -

Dick Rothman