Re: Poping of of 2nd gear

To: "David Tedore" <rw24911@deere.com>, <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Poping of of 2nd gear
From: "Bill Ironside" <ironside@communique.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 13:22:55 -0500
I raced a '65 for several years and the problem is not unique... I just
mastered the art of one-handed driving! Seriously, the rib cage
transmission is not a bad one, it is like anything else that old (myself
included) that is abused that way and needs to be "freshened" periodically.
In fact, if you look under the bonnet of many exotic sports racers (such as
early Lolas) you will often find a rib cage transmission. They are
complicated inside, however, and I would not recommend them being
"repaired" by anyone other than an expert, no matter how well-meaning or
cheap they may be.

I had a problem popping out of third gear and the fix was an adjustment
(don't ask me what was adjusted or how) and it held for over a year of very
hard SCCA national racing. Everyone told me to have the transmission
freshended each year along with the engine... and I for one feel that is
the right advice. On the west coast I know the guys at Mini Mania do
rebuilds and on the east coast I have had mine done at Sasco Motorsports in
Ct. The best (and most reasonable) work I had done was by a SCCA racer out
of S.C. named Mike Miller... I have long since lost his number.

Good luck and keep it vintage "appropriate"