Re: race entry prices

To: favres@engmail.ulinear.com, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: race entry prices
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 11:37:07 -0400 (EDT)

<< If the vintage events were so wildly
 profitable for the region, how come we only got one date on the calendar. >>

If you had gone to any of the other SCCA vintage events, you would have seen
that there was virtually NO turnout, except for Laguna (the track's the draw
here...those of us that are not up to Mr. Earle's standards, or are not one
of his close personal friends, don't get to run there otherwise).

SCCA vintage had been just the opposite of what you suggest, and that is a
money LOSER for many years.  Thanks to the hard work of Glenn Hills, the
Laguna Event is profitable and fun.  I didn't think the schedule had a whole
lot less track time than some of the VARA events I do.

The other problem that SCCA had in drawing entrants was the poor way they
treated the participants.  They applied all of the strict rules and regs that
they use for a spectator national, and made it a hassle.  You would flunk
tech without an SCCA decal on your car and driver's patch on your suit.  My
mechanic couldn't even come to pit lane as he wasn't an SCCA member.  That
has changed, and they've thankfully relaxed a little.

SCCA did used to have a Sears Event in the spring, but I think they lost the
date.  With all the other events going on, they will have a hard time drawing
people to anywhere else.  I think they just ought to focus on the one event
and make it something special, like they appear to be doing.

If the Reno Hilton hadn't cancelled the June CSRG event, we probably wouldn't
be having this discussion...everyone must be bored this month!!

Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128