Re: race entry prices

To: "EHSMITH.US.ORACLE.COM" <EHSMITH@us.oracle.com>
Subject: Re: race entry prices
From: "John A. Rollins" <nobozos@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 11:17:29 -0700
EHSMITH.US.ORACLE.COM wrote:

> Simon writes:
>
> "The few SCCA vintage events we get in the SF Bay Area are basically
> no-frills racing.  As they are part of the largest region of the SCCA,
> they benefit from buying track time in bulk.  ;=) The one at Laguna this fall
> is $200 if you ran in last year's event, $250 otherwise.  Laguna and Sears
> Point are expensive tracks to rent.  CSRG figured it cost them $35,000 to have
> Sears Point for a weekend.  Laguna has to be more."
>
> The $250 fee for the SCCA Laguna event in October looks like it yields me 4 25
> minute sessions.  If I read the schedule correctly, I get one early Sat a.m.,
> one late Sat.afternoon and an early Sun. a.m. and late Sun. pm......normally
> I'd say it's hardly worth the drive down there but it was a great turnout last
> year so I'll begrudingly go.  In our region, SCCA is struggling and vintage
> events brought sheckles to the coffers last year.  It feels like SCCA vintage
> is being used to support the rest of the SCCA programs that can't support
> themselves......not something I particularly care to do......(nomex on, flames
> no doubt on the way).....
>
> Ted

As with most other Regions, I doubt that SCCA Vintage could support
itself for a full year; I know that we cannot in the Southeast.
However, we can be a major contributing factor to the other, regional
events where we are often one of the two largest classes/race groups.
In Florida, we only average 15-30 cars per event - partly due to our
eligibility and preparation requirements (we want them the way they
really were) and partly due to all the other available events.  This
still is a fair number of dollars when you multiply times the average
($100-$145) entry fee.

A normal weekend is two days.  Saturday has a 10-minute warmup,
20-minute practice/qualifying session and, normally, a 7-8 lap race in
the afternoon.  Sunday has a 5-lap race in the morning and a 10-14 lap
race in the afternoon.  This is the standard schedule for the Moroso
Motorsports track in W.P.B; the schedule for the Homestead Motorsports
complex eliminates the Saturday 10-minute warmup session.  The schedule
for the Sebring races (short course) are much the same as for Moroso.

Our Regions have been very pleased with the Vintage participation over
the years and are always willing to listen to our input.  These days,
with the high turnout of all the IT cars wanting more and more enduros,
you need all the help you can get to preserve the track time you have!
SCCA is a club with widely diverse interests and needs - we need to keep
it a cooperative effort (at least on the Regional level since National
does not want to talk about Vintage...) if we are to survive.  I, for
one, enjoy having 10-12 low-key, local events a year where we can race
with friends and enjoy their company between sessions.  That IS what
it's all about - isn't it?

*8o)
John A. Rollins, KBF
Vintage Race Coordinator, Florida Region, SCCA