Re: race entry prices

To: "Rockney, Vaughn (GEIS)" <Vaughn.Rockney@geis.ge.com>
Subject: Re: race entry prices
From: Mike & Jaye Rosen <mra@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 16:26:17 -0400
Just rub salt in the wounds of US racers wo don't come north to Mosport for the
VARAC Vintage Racing Festival;
The revised shedule for Mosport - June 6,7 & 8 gives each racer four15 minute
sessions on Friday, three 20 minute races on Saturday and two twenty minute
races
on Sunday - plus a Friday night cocktail party with free bar for the first two
hours and a
trackside BBQ saturday night - entry fee; $225 US or $170 if you're a member of
VARAC, Monoposto Register or the MG Vintage Racers.
Sunday there's also a 1.5 hr. enduro for $75 Us additional.
How do we do it? We we work on the premis that as a club, our mandate is to
provide
racing for our members not generate excess profit. When we're done with all the
expenses and paying the track etc. we'll have a very small profit (there have
been
years when it's been a loss, but also small) As long as we get around 120
entries we
can both cover our costs with a very small profit and give all the competitors
lots of
track time.
Here's the BIG BUT...But, in my experience, the entry fee is not really much of
a factor
as long as there's decent track time.
By the time I add-up cost of race fuel, lost billing time in my office for
travel time on
Thursday & Friday, hotels/meals, gas for my tow car etc. the race entry isn't
the
biggest portion by any means.
I go to Pittsburgh every year which has a $110 US entry (about $150 CDN). The
weekend, if my family goes with me really costs closer to $800 with the above
costs
so the entry fee just isn't a huge deal unless it's one of the $325 US
($430CDN) fees at
a big US event with so many entries that there's no track time.  But then
again, the
crowds at those events seem to indicate that lots of racers like those events -
count
me out.
Mike