Re: race entry prices

To: wsthompson@thrunet.net
Subject: Re: race entry prices
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 11:13:59 PDT
Ok, I'll bite.  These things sure take a bite out of my wallet.  ;=)

For the HMSA events put on by General Racing Ltd.  (that's pronounced
Steve Earle), the entry fees are $200 for the small club events, and
$300 for the Wine Country Classic and the Monterey Historics.  The funny
thing is, the events are all at the same tracks!  I haven't done his
"club" events, but I can say the amenities for participants are first
rate at the "spectator" events.  Of course, for the big events, he
usually has big sponsors too, so I'm still not sure why the big
difference in fees.  Last year at the Historics, BMW was featured, and
they sponsored a Friday night party at the Monterey Aquarium that was
excellent.  Saturday night there was a benefit concert at $25/head with
the Kingston Trio (Nick Reynolds once drove my car).  I forget which
charity was involved.  During the days, the drivers lounge served up
cold drinks and a catered lunch.  At the recent Wine Country Classic,
they had a trackside party sponsored by Ferrari America that had very
good food (pasta, garlic bread, salad, large prawns, etc.).  Saturday
night they traditionally have a benefit at Sebastiani Winery that helps
the Sonoma Valley Boys and Girls Club.  Entrants get 2 free passes.
Although the air conditioning in the drivers lounge was worth its weight
in gold that weekend, there was no catered lunch at the WCC.

CSRG is another story.  All events used to be $200 for quite a while,
but fees went up recently.  I think they are running $250 now.
Depending on where it is, they often have an optional banquet that may
run $20-25/head.  The halloween parties at Thunder Hill are pretty wild.
;=) Sometimes we have a trackside party on Friday night given by one of
the bigger participants.

The few SCCA vintage events we get in the SF Bay Area are basically
no-frills racing.  As they are part of the largest region of the SCCA,
they benefit from buying track time in bulk.  ;=) The one at Laguna this
fall is $200 if you ran in last year's event, $250 otherwise.  Laguna
and Sears Point are expensive tracks to rent.  CSRG figured it cost them
$35,000 to have Sears Point for a weekend.  Laguna has to be more.

The VARA event at Buttonwillow that CSRG was invited to attend is $175.
I have no idea what amenities are involved.