Club Racing Costs

Subject: Club Racing Costs
From: Ross Fosbender <rossf@interaccess.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 08:42:47 -0700
Don't know much about the big fancy events, but I did an article for our
club newsletter last month detailing the finances of a typical club
race. The major expenses were track rental $8250, insurance $3150, entry
forms, mailing, other papers $1485, worker lunches $650, EMTs $720,
sanction fee $425, trophies $700, party $250, eqt rental $250, clean-up
$200.  Total nut, mostly out front: $15,980.
Income (this was a Saturday solo, Sunday wheel-to-wheel event): 85 solo
drivers @ $80 = $6800, 75 w/w drivers @ $135 = $9375, guests and extra
crew $1000.  Total income: $17,175.
Net: $1200 to the club treasury.  Good.  But if it rains, the fixed out
front expenses remain the same and the income drops by $4000.  Bath
time. It takes a number of good events to make up for the rainy day.
The example is for an event at Blackhawk Farms.  GingerMan and Grattan
are about the same.  Road America has a cash flow of about $28,000 for a
2-day club event for our group (Midwestern Council of SCC).
I'm not sure how these costs relate to the big professionally run
events, but this shows the base.
   Ross Fosbender (went to driver school at Wilmot for $17 in 1965)
     '71 GTV1750 ITB,VH (for sale)
     '65 Guilia Spider Veloce