FW: Re: Weber jets (really crankshafts)

To: vintage-race
Subject: FW: Re: Weber jets (really crankshafts)
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 13:39:52 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from [Jeff Young
<jey@Adobe.COM>]]

     Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 13:44:59 -0700
     From: Jeff Young <jey@Adobe.COM>
     Subject: Re: Weber jets

> At least my special head by Vulcan can be salvaged but I
> don't know yet about the crankshaft.

Marc --

Throw that crank away.

Mine recently decided to snap between rod #4 and the rear main.  The
force still driving piston #4 bent the rod, and broke the crank again
between the second main and #2, and between #3 and the forth main.  The
center main (with cap still attached and the center part of the crank in
hand), was torn from the block and sent halfway out the side.  #4 rod,
now free from what was left of the piston, whacked the cam hard enough
to break it into 3 pieces, and then punched a hole in the dry sump pan.

(Interestingly, the bores were unscathed -- not that it matters much
since there's very little left of the block below them.)

Needless to say, enough damage was done that I now look at a suspect
crank in an entirely different light.

-- Jeff.

'65 Ginetta G4 (thankfully, not the participant in this tale)
'75 Zink Z10 FF (undergoing a wee bit of engine work)