SU Question

To: vintage race list <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: SU Question
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 10:30:55 +0000
Every once in awhile I come up against a question I can't answer. It
keeps me humble. Since I'm feeling pretty humble right now, please help
me with this:

On constant vacuum carburetors like SU's and Side draft Strombergs, is
the piston opening at a given rpm the same whether or not the engine is
under load?

Stated another way, if my car is on jack stands running at 3000 rpm,
will the pistons be the same distance up as they are when going down the
track under full throttle at 3000 rpm?

Please respond only if you really know, not just with an opinion -- your
response will preclude my present plan of mounting a graduated mirror
viewed through a hole in the dash......