Re: [TR] I'm stumped!

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] I'm stumped!
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 07:09:30 -0700
Kurtis J. wrote:
> So far I've tried three different rotors, three different distributor
> caps, three different sets of plug wires, three different sets of
> points, two different sets of spark plugs, two different coils, three
> different condensors, two different distributors.

Don't get too hung up focusing in on just one cause.  Electrical and
fuel related problems do share many symptoms.

Recently my TR3 started loosing power, coughing up a storm and
occasionally backfiring.  About a quarter mile from the filling station
where I just filled a nearly empty fuel tank.

I siphoned the tank & added 5 gal from a different source, replaced the
fuel pump, the fuel filter blew out fuel lines, checked float valves,
check jet passages and popped in a new set of plugs.  All because my
condenser failed right after I filled the fuel tank.  My Mallory
condenser that had less than 5000 miles on it from new.

Over the years I can not count the number of times I've chased a fuel or
electrical system problem only to have the real problem be in the other
system.

Going back to your electric, did you try swapping out the low voltage
wire between the coil & distributor?  It sees a lot of vibration and
I've has two go bad on me over the years.  The vibration can fatigue and
break the wires at the edge of the connector crimp.  The insulation
holds the wire & connector in contact  but vibration makes & breaks the
electrical connection with predictable results.

Any chance you might have sticky flat valves?  Never focus on just one
system

TeriAnn

===     http://www.vtr.org