[TR] I'm stumped!

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] I'm stumped!
From: "Kurtis J." <tr4driver@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 21:11:05 -0500
After a spring and early summer of uneventful TR4 driving, I pulled
out of my garage a couple of weeks ago, and my TR4 died at the end of
the driveway and wouldn't start.  I finally managed to re-start it,
but it was obviously not running on all four cylinders.  I pulled it
back into the garage and left it there for a few days.

A few days later, after replacing the distributor cap, the spark
plugs, the plug wires, the condenser, the points and the rotor, I was
confident enough to drive it roughly 120 miles to my wife's high
school reunion.  I had some problems starting it after a stop for
lunch, but otherwise it rand great.  The next morning, it wouldn't
start, and I ended up having to advance the distributor to get it to
start.  I kept fiddling with the timing and had it running fairly well
for the first 40-50 miles, but then it started missing again, and kept
getting worse.  I kept fiddling with the timing, but could never get
it sorted out.  I managed to limp home, and replaced the plug wires
and distributor cap again.  Checked the points gap, the valve
clearances, etc.  Thought I had it licked, and tried to drive it to
work a few days ago.  It still had a high rpm miss, that got worse and
worse.  I barely made it home.

Today I replaced the coil and the entire distributor with a spare
(with different points and condenser).  I double checked all
connections.  I still cannot time the thing so that it doesn't miss.
I checked the plug wires with a timing light (before it quit
working!), and the miss was occurring on all four cylinders.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Again, the thing was running great up
until a couple of weeks ago.  I've always timed it by ear, and have
never had any problems getting it running great.  This situation has
me baffled.

--
Kurtis
Russellville, Arkansas