Re: [TR] I'm stumped!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] I'm stumped!
From: "Kurtis J." <tr4driver@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 23:03:08 -0500
> > burned-out candle on the Lucas altar
>
> Sounds most likely to me !

Who would have guessed? <grin>

Around 10:00 PM this evening, I decided to start tinkering with it
again.  When I turned the key, it initially started right up (which
encouraged me), but immediately began to miss and stutter (and would
not take throttle well).

So... I shut it down and checked the float bowls.  Everything looked
fine.  I made sure the choke linkage was working properly and that the
jets were returning.  Then I tightened the mixture adjustment nuts all
the way lean and backed them off about 10 flats a piece (I didn't
count them going in, so I can't say where they were before, but last
time I had set the mixture I did it with a Colortune kit).  Then I
re-checked all of the spark plug/distributor/coil connections, and
replaced the rotor again (with an older one I had).

When I started it, it sounded good enough to take it for a test drive,
which I did (in the rain without a top at 10:20 PM.  It ran much
better...  no high rpm miss at all...  just a little hesitation
(perhaps it's a little lean?).

I'll take it for an extended test drive hopefully tomorrow evening.
Thanks everyone for your responses!

--
Kurtis
Russellville, Arkansas