Re: Click-Adjust

To: frede.thomas2@verizon.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Click-Adjust
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 23:31:33 EST
Fred,
Last year I bought a later production Snap-on VALVE ADJUSTER (#V-22A with the
crooked handle) for $26 on eBay. The cool thing about it is, 1/4 turn of the
knob equals .010" away from seated position, then, while holding knob still,
you turn the handlebar to set the locknut, and you're done with gapping that
valve. That's the theory anyway - haven't tried it yet.
The ClikAdjust screwdriver clicks every .001" .005" or .010" (I'm not sure)
giving you 'sound feedback' rather than 'feeler gauge feedback'.
Jay may not be on this list but has sent me info on adjusters and he's the
one selling the new ZIM model valve adjuster (with no clicker) on eBay from
time
to time (I've seen 'em sell for as low as $45.00). I hope he doesn't mind -
here's Jay's email address: jholekamp@sbcglobal.net
ps; I'm sending you a photograph of 'assorted Valve Adjusters' in seperate
email.
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74
JAY'S NOTE ON VALVE ADJUSTERS:
Over time, apparently staring about 1920, Snap-On made several versions of
Valve Adjust Tools.  The earliest tools do not have a spring loaded
screwdriver,
however the several variants ( V-21B , V-22 & V-22A) made from about 1950 on
do indeed have spring loaded screwdrivers.  See:

<A HREF=<A HREF="http://heh.pl/&py";>"http://heh.pl/&py";</A>><A
HREF="http://heh.pl/&py";>http://heh.pl/&py</A></A>

(Replacement parts are still avail from Snap-On although they no longer sell
the complete tool.)

The tools made by Cornwell, Mac, Zim and Proto (Plomb) that I have are
similar in function to the later Snap-On tools. (Clearly I have too many
valve
adjust tools!!)

The valve adjust tool I most often use is a Gunson (previously SPQR)
Clikadjust which produces very consistent results once it's calibrated to a
specific
engine and there's no need for feeler gauges.

brgds, Jay
'64 Triumph TR4 since '67
MORE VALVE ADJUSTER TOOL INFO FROM JAY:
Last Fall the editor of the ISOA (Illinois Sports Owners Assoc - the
local Triumph Club) newsletter asked me to write an article about valve
adjusting. In the course of acquiring a wide variety of valve adjust
tools (Gunson Clikadjust, Snap-On, Mac, Proto, Plomb, Cornwell, etc.)
and generally researching the subject, I came across Zim Mfg Co. Zim
is a multi-generation family owned business on the west side of
Chicago, now deep in bandito territory. Their factory covers most of a
city block with only one small corner operating sometimes at this
time. I spent quite a bit of time with the father (70s) and son (50s)
+ the son's wife when I went to visit last winter shooting the breeze
about my time (15 yrs) working in Asia building McDonald's restaurants,
and they came to like me. I think the primary customer of their valve
adjust tool, made up into a kit with a socket assortment, is the US
Dept of Defense, under a long standing procurement contract. They sell
me a few when I drop by - I usually bring lunch. It really is a good
tool for older push rod engines w/ valve adjust screws, not commonly
seen.

brgds, Jay

===     http://www.vtr.org