Re: Re:TR2 Front Wings and Archeology

To: pethier@isd.net, dspence@oanet.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re:TR2 Front Wings and Archeology
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 13:31:54 -0400
"Peep" was the original nickname for a "Jeep"(At the time, a 3/4 ton weapons
carrier was referred to as a "Jeep") Although later defined by the more
common reference as a "Jeep" Gen. John Wood of the 4th Armored Division, as
well as the majority of old hands in the 4th Armored(in WWII) still used the
term "Peep" for the duration of the war.

A "Wimpy"(or "wimpey") was a slang reference to the WWII 3/4 ton Dodge
Weapons Carrier(also originally known as the "Jeep") There was also a
British aircraft referred to as a "Wimpey" I think it was a
Vickers-Wellington, although I am not sure at the moment. I seem to recall
"Wings"(Wing Commander) Day of "Great Escape" fame was aboard one early in
the war on a reconnaissance mission when he was shot down and captured.(He
commented later about being surprised by the German interrogators referring
to his "Vickers-Vellington Vimpy")

And a "deuce" is an easy one- pretty much any large military truck- but the
original refers to the "Deuce-and-a-half" or two and one half ton GMC CCKW
of WWII. Currently, most of the remaining AMGeneral M-series "deuces" have
been replaced by "5-tons" which, of course, are of a 5 ton capacity (off
road)

If I looked hard enough, I might find one or another in a TR fender- but
generally as a piece of recycled steel!

Scott